The late Mrs. Betty Penny MBE founded the Blandford Fashion museum, located in Lime Tree House, in 1996. The house is a beautiful Georgian property in Blandford Forum, built by John and William Bastard after the town’s Great Fire 1731.
Mrs. Penny’s collection of costumes, known locally as the Cavalcade of Costume, form the nucleus of the present collection. However, since then the collection has almost trebled in size and continues to grow thanks to generous donations from the public.
The Arts Council gave the museum accredited status in 2010, and renewed it in 2015. We receive a small grant from the Town Council, but no other public funding. As a result, all our members of staff are volunteers and we have a reputation locally for our friendly atmosphere.
We have 13 display spaces over two floors, and there is a rolling programme of exhibition changes. Exhibitions show visitors historic dress and textiles and the connection between fashion and social history. Additional facilities include a Resources Room for use by students studying fashion & textiles and a Lecture Room for study days.
The Fashion Museum is pleased to confirm that, following the government announcements of this week, it will re-open on Saturday 5th December.
The Museum will be open on 5th; 7th; 8th; 10th and 12th December 10.00 am - 4.00 pm (last entry 3.30 pm)
We look forward to welcoming our Friends and visitors back through the door.
Find more information relating to our vendors by clicking on one of the pictures below
Find more information relating to events and activities by clicking on one of the pictures below